When I decided to change my life for good in 2010 I knew that I had to move from trying dieting fads that obviously didn’t work for me considering my track record, to actually researching what the human body needs in order to naturally lose weight and keep it off. I studied many books during this phase, tried the advice that I got and ultimately compiled a way of eating and exercise that I could stick to & that yielded results.
LET’s NOT RE-DESIGN THE WHEEL
Of recent, whenever people ask me what lifestyle changes I made that provided me with results or which books I studied, I usually recommend for them to consider well-known available programs that are akin to my way of thinking. This will be much easier for you as The Mayo Clinic Diet is well-structured and covers many aspects which together will provide you with results, if you choose to stick to it!
For instance, it is important to understand that an eating plan that is designed for you, alone, may help you in the short term but in the long term you may fail or fall back to your bad habits as there are many other aspects to consider & that will also have to be addressed along with your eating plan in order to fully change your lifestyle for the better & into something sustainable.
I believe that the diet as offered by The Mayo Clinic covers all aspects such as, but not limited to;
- Help with changing bad habits
- Daily advise by specialists
- Individual support 24/7
- Tailored eating plans
- Tailored exercise plans
- Community of like-minded people
- Tracking APP
HOW IT WORKS
During sign up you will be asked for info such as your weight, height, age, goal weight & e-mail address, after which you will move to the sign up quiz in order for The Mayo Clinic to obtain more info in an effort to provide you with a personalized eating plan, that will help you achieve your weight loss goal.
Phase 1; You will then move into the first phase “Lose IT” which is designed to jump-start your weight loss journey and help you lose up to 6 – 10 pounds in 2 weeks in a safe & healthy way. During this phase you will also be enabled to add new good habits & also determine which of your current eating habits are bad for your new weight loss journey.
Phase 2; The next phase of the diet “Live It” will help you continue to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week until you reach your goal weight. After reaching your goal you will receive expert guidance & learn techniques in order to maintain your weight for life. If you are prepared to give this diet a chance, then this will be the last diet you will ever need.
Weight Loss Tools; You will be eating well, choosing from hundreds of delicious recipes, meal plans & serving guides. You will get moving with a tailored fitness plan loaded with exercises & added advice for any fitness level. You will also be tracking your progress with a weight tracker, habit tracker & a food journal.
FOLLOW THE HEALTHY WEIGHT PYRAMID
Nutritional intake is based on The Mayo Clinic’s Healthy Weight Pyramid and works as follows; (Samples of recipes are available and can be viewed during sign up)
Fruit & vegetables as the base of the pyramid; You will be eating the right balance of fruit / vegetables & you will be guided as to which fruits to avoid due to high sugar content.
Healthy carbs; Moving up the pyramid you will be eating the correct balance of healthy carbs such as whole grains & brown rice.
Protein; Your protein will consist of lean meat, cheese, beans & even healthy fats such as nuts, Avocado, olive oil & fatty fish
Sweets; Yes, you will even be allowed to have a small amount of sweets.
THE MAYO CLINIC DIET iPhone APP
The very convenient app will give you round-the-clock support from the experts you trust. The interactive tools will help you identify portion sizes at a glance, track food servings on the go & stay motivated to maintain healthy habits. The app is free to members.
The app Includes;
- Serving Guide: Use this interactive tool to help compare a food serving size to an everyday object
- Serving Tracker: The interactive dashboard will help you to track meals and see what food categories to eat more or less of at each meal. Log your physical activity or allow HealthKit to do it for you!
- Motivation Picture: Unlock your inspirational picture that reminds you why you want to be healthier.
- Daily Tips and Articles: Discover advice from Mayo Clinic experts incorporating clinical nutrition, dietetics, psychology, psychiatry, preventive medicine, endocrinology, and health and wellness best practices.
- Daily Meal Planner and Recipes: Try unique recipes created by Mayo Clinic dietitians and based on nutrition science.
- Habit Tracker: Track and learn about the 15 key habits that will radically change your lifestyle
- Progress Reports: Learn from personal insights to understand how to capitalize on your strengths and overcome obstacles.
As mentioned above I feel that The Mayo Clinic Diet encompasses all the aspects of a true wight loss / lifestyle management system. If you have reached that point in your life where you are finally serious about losing weight & keeping it off by “Living It” the healthy way, then I am positive that The Mayo Clinic Diet is the last diet you will ever need!